The inextricable link between RIPA/CPIA and DPA
October 20, 2021 @ 09:00 - 12:30 BST
One event on January 20, 2022 at 09:00
One event on April 20, 2022 at 09:00
One event on July 21, 2022 at 09:00
If you work in any investigative role where you use the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act (RIPA), Investigatory Powers Act (IPA) or comply with the requirements of the Criminal procedures & Investigations Act (CPIA) regarding disclosure then you need to be aware of how the material that you obtain is bound by the Data Protection Act 2018.
Until now, the links between these pieces of legislation have not been clear. The Investigatory Powers Commissioner’s Office (IPCO) undertaking the inspections of public authorities are also now looking at compliance with the Data Protection Act as part of the Data Assurance Programme. Failing to comply can result in adverse reports or event being reported to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) for failing to act in accordance with the data protection legislation.
Our half day course will look at inextricable link between RIPA, CPIA and DPA and how they apply to you in your organisation. Key points covered include:
• Identifying evidence and intelligence as data
• Recording of material
• Sharing of material that has been obtained
• Retention schedules
• Destruction of material
• Dealing with errors and breaches
• The need for internal policies
This course is delivered by a qualified lawyer with in excess of 15 years’ experience, specialising in Legal Compliance, Ethics, Data Protection (GDPR), Judicial Review, Human Rights and Criminal Law/Trial advocacy.
Who should attend:
• Investigators of all levels in all roles using RIPA, IPA or CPIA
• RIPA Applicants, Gatekeepers, Authorising Officers or Senior Responsible Officers
• Analysts & Researchers
• Covert operatives such as surveillance personnel, CHIS Handlers or Controllers and Undercover Operatives
• Anyone that supports an investigation by receiving material to assist the investigation
This course is delivered on a public and in-house basis.
To book your place please visit our main website